Thursday, January 13, 2005

M.I.A.

I'm sprung on this M.I.A. (Maya Arul) gal. Don't know much about her story other than that she was an 11-year old refugee from Sri Lanka before her family moved to some project in London. I've been hearing about her for awhile but just downloaded her stuff (iTunes) last week. Am I, like, missing the pop cultural boat and she's already a big thing on MTV or something?

Anyway, I think she's badass (the exotic cuteness never hurts either). I guess 'Galang' has been her hot single. Here's the video:
Galang

Current favorite tracks are 'Sunshowers' and "Fire, Fire". They have this great, old school UK hip hop thing going on -- very Buffalo Gals. For proof look no further than the fashion sense in the video. Kinda that catchy little girl school yard chant thing -- totally infectious. Or annoying, depending on what you like.
Sunshowers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home